| Spoiler Alert!|
This article contains plot details about the recently released book, Darkness of Dragons. It would be best if you did not view this page until after reading the new installment.
Chameleon is a male RainWing who was banished from the Rainforest Kingdom due to his inability to change color in his scales, which, due to his snout deformity, causes them to be permanently stuck as a lime green color. His inability to sleep for more than an hour and breathe regularly contributed to the reason why the other RainWings thought he was creepy. He is the true identity of Cirrus the IceWing, Soar the SkyWing, Shapeshifter the NightWing, and Bog the MudWing. Using Darkstalker's scroll, Chameleon created new shapes for himself and helped Ex-Queen Scarlet in her schemes in exchange for treasure. He possesses a different shape for each dragon species. Chameleon has shown to be very greedy and selfish, though not necessarily malicious, doing nefarious acts with Darkstalker's scroll for treasure. He fathered Peril as his SkyWing form, Soar, with Kestrel.
His scales are "the color of limes and jungle parakeets, a sort of nondescript yellowish-green", and he has narrow shoulders. His scales can not change colors like normal RainWing scales can.
At an unknown point in time before the series, Chameleon was banished from the Rainforest Kingdom because of his inability to change the color of his scales, which made the other RainWings uncomfortable. This was because of a snout deformity that stopped him from sleeping for more than a hour. The lack of sleep made it so that he couldn't change the color of his scales, and had also affected his personality. This lead to many of the RainWings thinking he was creepy and different. Some time after that, he found Darkstalker's Talisman and got someone to teach him to read. By reading some of what was written on the scroll, Chameleon figured out what it could do and then learned how to write. Using the scroll, Chameleon creates many shapes for himself, including Soar the SkyWing. He moves into the Sky Kingdom and helps Queen Scarlet spy on the Talons of Peace as Cirrus. While he serves Scarlet, he makes a Pyrite mask to hide Hailstorm for Scarlet. As a SkyWing, he fathers Peril and her twin with Kestrel in the breeding program, but Scarlet tells him that both of his dragonets were dead, and so Chameleon didn't know Peril is his daughter until the eighth book, Escaping Peril.
For more information, see Cirrus
Chameleon appears in the prologue as Cirrus, with the Talons of Peace. He pins Webs down under Nautilus' orders and threatens to rip Webs' heart out. Before he can kill Webs, Crocodile knocks him out and Webs escapes.
In his Cirrus form, Chameleon was spotted by Sunny in the Talons of Peace camp, as he was the only IceWing in the Talons of Peace.
As the NightWing Shapeshifter, Chameleon speaks with Ex-Queen Scarlet in the epilogue, holding Darkstalker's scroll.
A RainWing who couldn't sleep because of a snout deformity or change scale color was mentioned by one of the RainWing healers when Winter was visiting Glory. He was also said to have watched other RainWings sleep. This was most likely a description of Chameleon.
In his IceWing form of Cirrus, Chameleon appears in the Talons of Peace camp when the dragonets are looking for a SkyWing. He seems to be possessive of Pyrite, most likely because he is guarding her for Queen Scarlet.
Wearing his NightWing mask (Shapeshifter), Chameleon is overheard by Moon, Winter, and Qibli talking to Scarlet. He later goes to the dragonets' camp to retrieve Pyrite and attacks Kinkajou, smashing her into a tree and leaving her in a coma. It is mentioned in Escaping Peril that he did this because of his grudge against the RainWings. He fails to capture Pyrite (Hailstorm) and leaves with his eyes burned and frozen by Moon and Winter, although it heals when he changes shape.
As Cirrus, Chameleon stops Peril and Turtle on their adventure with the Talons of Peace. When Avalanche mentions Kestrel in a speech she gives about how she wanted to kill Peril when she was a dragonet, Cirrus asks questions about Kestrel and finds out that Peril is Kestrel's daughter.
Later Turtle sees a dragon, most likely Chameleon, diving into the forest behind him and Peril. The next morning, Turtle finds talonprints that don't belong to him or Peril beside their sleeping spot. They likely belong to Chameleon. When Peril and Turtle fly away, Peril spots Chameleon in his NightWing form staring at her.
As Peril perches on the sandstone formation outside of Possibility, a large SkyWing comes flying toward her but is distracted by Winter and Foeslayer's arrival. After Winter and Peril's fight, as Peril flies away from the scene, the SkyWing starts flying with her. He tells her his name is Soar and then reveals that he is her father. They are joined by Ex-Queen Scarlet, and the SkyWing informs Peril that he is, in fact, a RainWing named Chameleon. He offers her a gift of a strange necklace that he claims will cancel the effects of her firescales. Peril accepts the gift, but unknown to her, it is also rigged with a loyalty enchantment to Scarlet, and makes her forget Clay.
In Darkness of Dragons, Chameleon, disguised as a MudWing named Bog, tries to convince Qibli and Winter that Vulture that the MudWings were causing the explosion in the SandWing kingdom and preparing to start a war. Later, when Winter tries to rescue the scavengers that Vulture has in the food storage, Bog catches them. Qibli then recognizes Bog and Winter and Qibli starts attacking him. They blame Chameleon for always messing with royal politics and hurting Kinkajou. Chameleon claims that he met Vulture in Possibility and couldn't possibly say no to treasure. Chameleon stops the fight by threatening to bite off the scavengers head and then Qibli and Winter let him leave knowing that if they follow him, he would lead them straight to Vulture.
Later in the NightWing Kingdom, Qibli and Kinkajou meet him there in MudWing form. Qibli convinces Chameleon to put on the enchanted earring, saying it was an apology gift from Peril, turning him back to an RainWing while Kinkajou steals all his remaining pieces of Darkstalker's scroll. After that, Chameleon most likely fled back to the Rainforest.
Known Forms Edit
- Cirrus the IceWing
- Shapeshifter the NightWing
- Soar the SkyWing
- Bog the MudWing
- Chameleon's name is very ironic, because an actual chameleon can change the color of its scales, but Chameleon (the dragon) cannot.
- Chameleon is one of the four violent RainWings shown in the series, the first being Glory, the second being Mangrove, and the third being Queen Grandeur. Grandeur is shown to just remember her tribe's history, while Glory, Mangrove, and Chameleon neglected their sun time.
- Chameleon is the first RainWing antagonist to appear in the series if you don't count Ex-Queen Dazzling,Ex-Queen Fruit Bat, Ex-Queen Magnificent and Ex-Queen Exquisite who served as Minor Antagonists in The Hidden Kingdom.
- He is also the first RainWing besides Glory to know how to read and spell, but does not reveal how he obtained that knowledge himself.
- Whenever he changes into a different form, it "resets", i.e. when he puts on the Soar mask, all traces of previous battles or other activities from when he was previously Soar would disappear. This would be consistent with Peril's noticing he had no scars.
- A chameleon is a color changing lizard that inhabits the rainforest.
- In Escaping Peril he said he has a form for every tribe, However, we do not know the SeaWing and the SandWing
- He is one of the four characters whose name is ironic, the others being: Quickdeath, Quickstrike, and Coconut.
- However, he commented on wanting a MudWing form in Escaping Peril to avoid persecution. A MudWing shape of Chameleon appears in Darkness of Dragons.
- He also said that he enchanted a face for every tribe in Escaping Peril
- Tui hinted on the Scholastic forum that she may bring back Chameleon in Darkness of Dragons, which has shown to be true.
- Kinkajou is mentioned in the last chapter of Darkness of Dragons to have been "the first RainWing in a century to learn to write". However, Chameleon is older than Kinkajou, and got someone to teach him to read and write. Thus, Kinkajou would not be the first RainWing in a century to learn to write, Chameleon would. Perhaps Chameleon was excluded from this for his inability to change color or to sleep for more than an hour.
|Queens|| Present: Queen Glory • Ex-Queen Dazzling • Ex-Queen Exquisite • Ex-Queen Fruit Bat • Ex-Queen Grandeur • Ex-Queen Magnificent • Ex-Queen Splendor|
Historical: Queen Anaconda
|Jade Mountain||Kinkajou • Tamarin • Coconut • Boto • Siamang|
|Other Dragons||Banana • Bright • Bromeliad • Bullfrog • Chameleon • Gibbon • Handsome • Heliconia • Liana • Loris • Mango • Mangrove • Orangutan • Orchid • Tapir • Tualang|
|Kingdom||Arboretum • Queen Glory's Pavilion|
|Society||The RainWing Royal Challenge|