Darkness of Dragons is the tenth book in the Wings of Fire series. Tui T. Sutherland has confirmed at a book talk in Washington that the main protagonist of Darkness of Dragons will be Qibli. She has also confirmed books 11-15. This book will be released on July 25, 2017. Darkness of Dragons will also be the last book in the second series. Tui also said that a WoF fan could have their character in this book, if they won the auction. The auction ended on May 2nd, 2016. A wiki user named Typhoonseawing won the auction; the character they'll use is named Typhoon, a SeaWing-IceWing hybrid.
Darkness of Dragons follows Talons of Power.
- The background in the cover may be depicting the ruins of the Lost City of Night from the Jade Mountain Prophecy, or the old NightWing island volcano home.
- It is the second book in the second arc of five books that doesn't include the protagonist's name in the title.
- It also follows Talons of Power's naming pattern as the title is a line from the Jade Mountain Prophecy.
- It is also the first mainstream book to feature a full-blood SandWing, as Sunny is half NightWing and half SandWing.
- However, counting Sunny, it is the third book to have a SandWing PoV.
- On the cover Qibli is missing his scar on his snout, but this could show up in the final cover. He is also missing his skyfire pouch. However, his freckles are clearly present.
- “Book 10 will resolve some of the problems we’ve seen throughout the series,” Sutherland said, “But I also have another idea for a standalone book.” – which is surely news that will thrill her fans." -PublishersWeekly
- This is the first and possibly only mainstream book to feature a WoF fan's character in a book.
- This is the third Wings of Fire book to feature the POV sitting/standing on a rock or other object rather than flying, the other books being The Dark Secret and Winter Turning.
- This is the third book where the dragon on the cover isn't displaying a fierce or negative expression, the other two books being Moon Rising and The Dragonet Prophecy.
- This is the second book where the protagonist has an accessory, the other being Talons of Power, since Turtle is wearing his armband of Skyfire.
- Tui also hinted that this book may take place on The Lost Continent.
- In Moon Rising, Moonwatcher has a vision of Qibli yelling, "Where is she?!" at three SandWings, which may occur sometime during this book.
- In a few places (such as Target), the book was titled as Storm of Sands.
- At 432 pages, this will be the longest of the WoF books, including Legends.
|Wings of Fire books|
|First Arc||The Dragonet Prophecy • The Lost Heir • The Hidden Kingdom • The Dark Secret • The Brightest Night|
|Second Arc||Moon Rising • Winter Turning • Escaping Peril • Talons of Power • Darkness of Dragons|
|Winglets||Prisoners • Assassin • Deserter • Runaway|