| Spoiler Alert!|
This article contains plot details about the recently released book, Darkness of Dragons. It would be best if you did not view this page until after reading the new installment.
Queen Thorn is a female SandWing. She's been described as having one of the most "colorful vocabularies" of any dragon in both series and was the leader of the Outclaws before having recently been declared Queen of the SandWing tribe by means of being handed the Eye of Onyx by her daughter, Sunny. She wears a moonstone pendant on a copper chain which was given to her by the NightWing animus, Stonemover, who was her former mate and Sunny's father. She also wears the Eye of Onyx, which makes her the official SandWing queen. As her first act as the new SandWing queen, she imprisoned the NightWings that took Sunny as a hostage. She is currently in a relationship with Smolder.
Queen Thorn has sandy yellow scales, brown speckles along her wings and back, and is described as being small for her age, but wiry and lithe: “Smaller than the others, and she wasn’t wearing more treasure than anybody else. A solitary gold bracelet circled one of her upper forearms a chain of flying dragons made from tied wires. Around her neck hung a simple copper chain with a moonstone pendant - an odd jewel to find in the desert, Sunny thought. Her scales were sandy yellow and dappled with a pattern of small brown speckled down her back and along her wings. She looked young - probably barely twenty years old, if Sunny had to guess."
Before the events of The Dragonet Prophecy, Thorn met a nervous NightWing named Stonemover (when he was working on the tunnels that led from the Rain Kingdom to the Kingdom of Sand, an animus dragon, who she later fell in love with. Only two dragons (Armadillo and Six-Claws) knew her secret. Stonemover and Thorn had one egg, but Thorn didn't tell Stonemover, since he had changed, growing colder, (as an animus who used much of his power, a lot of his soul was gone, explaining his new attitude). Shortly before the egg was laid, Stonemover mysteriously vanished. She was then approached by a NightWing named Morrowseer, who told her that Stonemover's fate was her fault. This is what caused her hate toward him. She wanted his death for most of the years of her life.
Thorn buried Sunny's egg in the desert sands outside the Scorpion Den to keep it safe from the NightWings in case any of them found out. When going for errands, she put Dune in charge of keeping her egg safe. When she returned, she found it and Dune gone, and realized he stole it. She was enraged, and put a bounty on his, Morrowseer's, and Stonemover's head, along with any information on a deformed Sandwing, in a desperate search for her missing egg, mate, and enemies. However, she had no luck for a long time.
Thorn later formed The Outclaws to bring order and protection to the Scorpion Den, and as leader of the Outclaws, she continued to look for her missing dragonet, Stonemover, Dune, and Morrowseer but with no luck.
Thorn is first seen when Fierceteeth, Strongwings, and Preyhunter arrive at the Scorpion Den with information on the whereabouts of the Dragonets of Destiny, followed by Sunny. Thorn ignores what they have to say about the dragonets, and instead asks if they've seen Dune, Morrowseer, or Stonemover. When Preyhunter claims that Morrowseer is dead, Thorn has a fit of rage and kills him with a quick stab of her tail, then inquires about Morrowseer again.
Sunny then steps forward and confirms that Morrowseer is dead. Thorn asks about Stonemover, then dismisses Fierceteeth and Strongwings, but keeps Sunny inside and brings her into a back room. Another dragonet named Qibli follows her in protectively. She then finds out and informs Sunny that she is her mother, and plans a welcome party for her. However, before anything else can happen, reports of a dragonbite viper near an orphanage arrives and she has to leave. After a short nap, Sunny is kidnapped by Addax and brought to Burn's Stronghold. The "viper" was merely a distraction for Addax to kidnap Sunny.
Thorn led The Outclaws in an assault on the stronghold and managed to get inside with the help of Peril. She had Smolder bring her to see the stuffed NightWing in Burn's collection, which, to her relief, wasn't Stonemover. Afterward, Smolder brought them to the library filled with notes and letters, claiming that one of them was for Thorn. While she did find a note from Stonemover, Smolder locked her and Sunny inside to await Burn's return; he was not taking any chances to be killed. Luckily, Sunny was able to burn through the doors without setting fire to the surrounding papers and they escaped, reuniting with the rest of the Outclaws and promptly retreating to the Scorpion Den.
Later, Thorn is one of the SandWings present when Burn, Blister, Blaze, and the dragon tribes meet at Burn's stronghold. After Burn is killed by a dragonbite viper, she helps hold down Clay when he is bitten by the same snake, and also helps dig up the skeleton of Queen Oasis, at Flower's instruction. Sunny discovers the precious treasure, the Eye of Onyx in the jaws of Queen Oasis' skeleton, and is faced with a choice between Blister and Blaze. She gives it to Thorn instead, and Thorn whispers to her that it's all very strange and that she hopes that Sunny will be around to help.
One month later, Thorn made her way with the dragonets to Jade Mountain to visit Stonemover. Their meeting is described by Sunny as "awkward".
Qibli briefly mentions Thorn a few times, consulting to himself, "What would Thorn think, and what would Thorn do?" He is also loyal to Thorn when Onyx questions Thorn's right to the throne.
Qibli formerly introduces himself as Queen Thorn's advisor when the Jade Winglet is in Queen Glory's royal pavilion.
Later in Possibility, Qibli comments on Mayfly's garden and wanted to tell Thorn about the glass structure there.
While arguing over Darkstalker's scroll, Qibli argues that Queen Thorn should be given the scroll.
She was mentioned in the epilogue when three oases exploded. Dragons growled about why their queen isn't protecting them.
She was mentioned by Vulture when he was speaking to Qibli. He mentioned that Thorn only cared about herself and wasn't helping the attacks. Qibli objects.
Later, Qibli goes to Thorn's stronghold. He gives her one of the earrings, explaining it's use. He also explains everything about Darkstalker becoming king, and Typhoon mentions the plague. The group figures out Darkstalker's enchantment on the IceWings, and Thorn has Qibli create earrings for all of the IceWings.
Family Tree Edit
- "Nightwings. Well, well, well. We haven't had any of you visit our fine city in about seven years." -To Preyhunter, Strongwings, and Fierceteeth.
- "It's not my favorite part of the role, but if you want to lead dragons, you have to show them your claws sometimes, Beetle."
- "Ssssay that again." -To Preyhunter
- “Frog-faced blob of camel spit!” - Thorn's favorite insult
- "He didn't find you. He stole you. He knew where I'd hidden you for your own safety, and he betrayed me." - Thorn to Sunny about Dune.
- "So fight me. I'm not afraid of you. I can win this throne in battle, if that's how you want to do it. Or are you only willing to fight weak and cowering dragons?" - Thorn to Blister about fighting for the throne.
- "Sunny. You're my daughter." - After meeting Sunny.
- "Teeth of the viper, I cannot believe all my enemies have died before I could rip their heads off myself. Qibli give me those drawings." - After learning Dune and Morrowseer were both dead
- "Yes, Sunny. It's because you're half NightWing."
- "Pompous worm-faced snob-head camel turd." - Thorn to Sunny about Morrowseer.
- "I'm right here, snails-for-brains!" - Thorn to Six-Claws
- "Fourth moons and fireballs."
- "Blood-red eggs and fireballs! I'm going to flay that dragon alive!"
- "Oh no! Moonlickers! Six-Claws, you idiot!"
- "Act smart, stay alive, stick together- but don't be an idiot. Those are our basic rules."
- "I am the queen, you camel-chewing, snore-a-minute son of a toad." -Thorn showing Smolder her most elegant language.
- "Hmmm. I feel the same. Have I been turned into a frog and just can't tell?"
- "Because the Eye of Onyx will kill anyone unworthy who tries to steal it and the throne. And it hasn't killed me yet."
- "I think I am a good queen. And I guess if I'm ever not, it should be comforting that there's a way for me to find out. It would be nice if I could bargain with it, though. Like, hey, Eye of Onyx, instead of blowing me up, could you just send me a note that's like, Time to stop being queen, crazyclaws, and then I could happily retire? If I had an animus of my own, I'd probably get them working on that."
- "See, that just doesn't sound like a good idea."
- Thorn is not from the original line of SandWing royalty.
- According to Sunny, there was something about Thorn that made you want to follow her wherever she goes.
- Thorn has Outclaws guarding the oasis because, "In the desert, she who controls the water, controls everything".
- Qibli considers himself her adopted son, making Sunny his adopted sister.
- Thorn's nickname for Sunny for when she was an egg was Beetle, as stated by her in The Brightest Night.
- A thorn is a stiff, sharp-pointed, straight or curved woody projection on the stem or other part of a plant.
- Sunny told Thorn to have some more eggs so that she'll have heirs to her kingdom. In Darkness of Dragons, she shows interest in Smolder, and it appears that the relationship is mutual.
- It is most likely that she shows affection for Smolder, as shown in Darkness of Dragons.
|Queens|| Present: Queen Thorn • Queen Oasis|
Historical: Queen Scorpion
|Royalty||Blaze • Blister • Burn • Char • Scald • Singe • Smolder • Sunny|
|Jade Mountain||Sunny • Qibli • Onyx • Ostrich • Arid • Pronghorn|
|Other Dragons||Addax • Agave • Armadillo • Camel • Capybara • Cobra • Dune • Horizon • Jerboa • Jerboa (DoD) • Kindle • Meerkat • Needle • Ocotillo • Ostrich (Deserter) • Palm • Parch • Prickle • Quicksand • Rattlesnake • Saguaro • Sandstorm • Sirocco • Six-Claws • Tawny • Torch • Viper • Vulture|
|Kingdom||Blaze's Fortress • Blister's Hideout • Great Five-Tail River • Possibility • Queen Oasis' Grave • Queen Thorn's Stronghold • Scorpion Den|
|Society||Outclaws • War of SandWing Succession|