| Spoiler Alert!|
This article contains plot details about the recently released book, Darkness of Dragons. It would be best if you did not view this page until after reading the new installment.
The Soul Reader is an object enchanted by Darkstalker to show how much of a dragon's soul was good, and how much of it was evil. Darkstalker created it to show Fathom that Fathom didn't need to worry about Darkstalker's soul, as Fathom was, due to Darkstalker's use of his animus powers.
The Soul Reader looks like a telescope with an hourglass stuck to the top of it, with the hourglass containing white sand and black sand, which showed you the levels of good/evil in your soul. It displayed on one side black for good (for NightWings) and white for evil (for IceWings). So the more black sand it contained, the better moral condition your soul was in.
The Soul Reader was created and used several times before it was forgotten in Fathom's room for over 2,000 years.
Anemone showed Qibli her room, as it was a way to get in the NightWing palace unnoticed. Qibli found the Soul Reader, not knowing what it was, and Anenome dismissed it as a piece of junk. Qibli put the object in his bag.
Darkstalker takes Qibli to where he was imprisoned in his sleep, and Qibli finds the Soul Reader in his bag. It points at Darkstalker, and there is only a small portion of black sand, while the rest is white. Darkstalker shakes it and tests it on Vulture, making sure it works, and then tries it again, but it continues to say he is evil. Thats when Darkstalker was most afraid.
- The Soul Reader was created by Darkstalker about 2000 years before the Dragonet Prophecy.
- Darkstalker explained that the black sand was for good, resembling the color of NightWing scales (black), and white sand is for evil, because IceWing scales are typically white.
- The soul reader has been used on Darkstalker, Fathom, Indigo, Vulture, and Clearsight, and Darkstalker said he had used it on Prince Arctic, and in Darkness of Dragons Darkstalker again. Their souls were 75% good, 75% good, very good with a little bad, very bad with a little good, very good with a little bad "almost all bad", and very bad with little good, respectively. Clearsight was confused why she had some white sand, as she could never remember doing anything evil. This could be because she was interfering with the timeline.
- It is unknown if the Soul Reader will play an important role in any future Wings of Fire books.
- It is possible that, when Whiteout said (in Darkstalker: Legends) "That's all right, he's not going to snow for a while," and, "It's too late. The sand is falling," that she was calling the white sand in the hourglass the 'snow'. However, no further evidence indicates she knew about the properties of the hourglass.
- It is unknown if the Soul Reader is breakable as it is shown in Talons of Power that Anemone threw away the hourglass, believing it to be useless.