Whiteout is Darkstalker's younger sister and the daughter of Prince Arctic and Foeslayer. She appears in Darkstalker (Legends). Many NightWings consider her to be very unusual, and tend to avoid her because Whiteout has a strange way of thinking and speaking, and she doesn't have the appearence of a normal NightWing, due to her being half IceWing. As explained by Darkstalker, it's almost like she is "thinking in colors and waves" instead of words. For instance, she once described Clearsight's personality as being 'azure on the inside,' possibly because she associates blue with good, seeing as she painted her pictures in shades of blue. This mode of thinking is very similar to the neurological phenomenon  known as associative synesthesia. She also once told Darkstalker about Clearsight that 'I like the way she knits', perhaps referring to the way Clearsight sees all the intersecting timelines and pulls them apart, like threads. Her speech is mostly an incomprehensible jumble of words that only Thoughtful seems to be able to piece together and understand when she talks to him about his "Cascade of Dreams" glasswork. She even gained the nickname "Weirdout" from Listener because of this. She is described by Darkstalker (and some others Darkstalker says) as being the most beautiful dragon on Pyrrhia, in public, Whiteout and Darkstalker's father, Arctic , uses her beauty to gain attention. Darkstalker has shown that he truly loves his sister, protecting her from dragons who'd teased her at school and stopping Arctic from taking her to the Ice Kingdom. Darkstalker enchanted her favorite toy, a wooden scavenger, so that it would always turn up on her pillow by the night she lost it. He also enchanted her paints so they would never dry out.
Many dragons, Darkstalker included, considered her to be the most beautiful dragon in all of Pyrrhia. The scales on her body are black with hints of dark sapphire blue. Her wings are icy bluish-white along with the spikes all along her back and her curved claws. Underneath her wings, she has a scattering of jet black scales, rather than of silver scales like those of a full NightWing. These scales stand out against the white undersides of her wings. She has striking pale blue eyes which she inherited from Prince Arctic and the narrow, elegant diamond-shaped head of an IceWing. Darkstalker stated once that she easily looks like an IceWing-NightWing hybrid, unlike himself (who resembles a pure NightWing except for a row of white scales beneath his wings).
Whiteout and Darkstalker were in the same clutch of eggs, but Darkstalker's egg hatched first, on a night with three full moons, while Whiteout's egg stayed still and didn't hatch until the next day, when the moons were no longer full. Darkstalker could have used his animus powers to summon Whiteout from her egg on the brightest night, but he chose not to.
Whiteout is first seen in their home, trying block out the sound of her parents' argument with her wings. Darkstalker comes in and comforts her, before jutting into his parents' frenzied quarrel.
She was later seen at the NightWing school beside Clearsight, accompanied by Darkstalker. During the afternoon, Whiteout approached Clearsight to ask her if she is the dragon that her brother was looking for. Listener, who is beside Clearsight, talks about how strange Whiteout is and refers to her as "Weirdout" as she approaches.
Clearsight sees Whiteout again later, walking and mumbling to herself. Whiteout accidentally walked right over a game of marbles three other NightWings were playing and scattered the marbles all over the place with her tail without noticing a thing. The NightWings then started yelling at and insulting Whiteout before Darkstalker materialized out of the shadows and stopped them. When he told Whiteout why the dragons were upset and asks her to apologize, she responded with, "Oh, I thought the marbles represented chaos theory and I was just another unpredictable whim of the universe."
During dinner when Arctic reveals Darkstalker is an animus, Whiteout referred to Clearsight as 'azure on the inside' and says "That's all right; he's not going to snow for a while," about Darkstalker's soul.
After Clearsight and Darkstalker frantically flew to his home to find Foeslayer, Whiteout is found keening, as if in pain, in the living room, which Arctic reveals she has been doing for the past hour. Clearsight and Darkstalker comforted her.
At Queen Vigilance's glass jubilee festival, Whiteout played scales-and-squares along with Darkstalker and Fathom at the game area. There, she meets Thoughtful when Clearsight interrupts Listener's flirting to introduce Whiteout to him. According to Clearsight, Thoughtful and Whiteout were destined for great love together, while Listener and him would be merely happy, yet missing something. When Whiteout first saw Thoughtful, she commented on how shiny his scales were and talked about his glass sculptor in her funny way of speaking. Thoughtful seemed to understand everything she was saying and was surprised and delighted that someone "saw the pieces of scroll inside the waves" in his music. Thoughtful then challenged Whiteout to a game of scroll tower, which she gladly accepted.
One morning, Whiteout is found lying awake with a new necklace and talking uncharacteristically normally, which she describes as not sounding right. She is then brought by her father across the Sand Kingdom towards the Ice Kingdom before being stopped by Darkstalker. She explains to him that she wants to go with Arctic, and that she always hated him, at which point Darkstalker realizes her necklace is enchanted by Arctic. Darkstalker then writes the spell to make Arctic obey his every order and commanded him to smash the necklace. Rather dazed, Whiteout is flown back to the Night Kingdom and present for her father's violent disembowelment. After Arctic was dead, she is shown crying and being comforted by Thoughtful.
Family Tree Edit
- Whiteout is the third confirmed and named hybrid that has appeared in the series, the second being her brother, Darkstalker, the first being Sunny, although there has also been a fourth confirmed hybrid, Typhoon: an IceWing/SeaWing hybrid, who will be in Darkness of Dragons.
- In Talons of Power, Sunny is confirmed to be descended from Whiteout.
- Whiteout has illustrated many drawings of NightWings and IceWings living peacefully together, all drawn in shades of blue, which hints that she wishes that her family, or the tribes they are from, could live peacefully together despite their differences. It is also stated she has painted the three moons, constellations, and the night sky, which shows her love of painting and might also hint at a delicately crafted metaphor on the NightWings and IceWings. Darkstalker told Clearsight he called it her Wishful Thinking series.
- Whiteout had eggs with Thoughtful, who was shown to be destined to be with her according to Clearsight's vision. This is the only known possible ways for the NightWings to have inherited the animus gene, considering Darkstalker never had dragonets before Clearsight gave him the animus-touched bracelet that had sent him into his 2,000 year sleep. This is further proven when Darkstalker admits it in Talons of Power.
- Whiteout once said that Clearsight was "azure on the inside." This could imply that she is good inside, which would explain why Whiteout does most of her paintings in shades of blue; Blue means 'good' to her. She also said 'I like the way she knits' about Clearsight, which could possibly mean the way she looks through the threads of timelines.
- Whiteout once said to Darkstalker, "only one of us will, depending on who loses the future" about reuniting with Foeslayer. This prophecy-like statement could mean Darkstalker and Foeslayer will reunite in Darkness of Dragons. It also suggests that Whiteout may have the power to see the future.
- A whiteout is a storm in which it is very hard to see because of a heavy snow fall.
- Whiteout is also a type of liquid (In a bottle or in a kind of pen) that Scavengers use to "cover up" their writing mistakes.
- It is possible that Whiteout is a future seer, but as she is suspected to have a mental disability, it may interfere with her powers. This is shown when she tells Darkstalker "he's not going to snow for a while" hinting he will turn evil. However, this hasn't yet been confirmed.
- Whiteout is also the first dragon shown to have a toy.
- She is also the second NightWing seen in the series to have artistic gifts, the first being Mightyclaws.
"Oh, I thought the marbles represented chaos theory and I was just another unpredictable whim of the universe. I did not intend to disrupt your faith in controllable outcomes." - Whiteout after she disrupts a game of marbles.
"Tangerine. Probability. Spelunking."
"I think you should teach me glassblowing, and I should teach you clarity." - to Thoughtful.
"Amazing. You are going to die of awe." - Whiteout playing a game
"WINNER! Empress of all scales and queen of all squares! Weep for your tokens, adversaries!." -
"Definitely azure on the inside. I like the way she knits." - about Clearsight.
"That's all right, he's not going to snow for a while." - about Darkstalker and his animus powers.
"Words of glass, spun flutes and verse. Waterfalls of language in fire-blown claws." - To Thoughtful about one of his pieces, called the Cascade of Dreams.
"Clearsight has your scroll. She said to tell you she'll meet you at Agate Mountain." - To Darkstalker after Prince Arctic's public execution.
"I had an apple like that once." - About Darkstalker and Arctic's animus power and losing their soul.
"It's too late. The sand is falling." - After Darkstalker freed her from Arctic's spell.
"The hole is too big. We're going to fall into it forever." - After Foeslayer was caught by Queen Diamond.
- ↑ note: condition, not illness. It is not a serious or life threatening if you yourself think like this, but rather more like how some people have more blue colour cones.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Darkstalker (Legends), page 48
- ↑ Darkstalker (Legends), page 101
|Queens|| Present: Queen Glory • King Darkstalker • Queen Battlewinner
Historical: Queen Vigilance
|Jade Mountain||Starflight • Fatespeaker • Moonwatcher • Mightyclaws • Mindreader • Fearless • Bigtail|
|Deadlyclaws • Deathbringer • Farsight • Fierceteeth • Mastermind • Morrowseer • Obsidian • Preyhunter • Quickstrike • Secretkeeper • Shapeshifter • Slaughter • Starflight's Daughter • Stonemover • Strongwings • Vengeance • Wisdom|
|Allknowing • Clearsight • Discretion • Foeslayer • Foreseer • Jewel-eyes • Listener • Morrowwatcher • Prudence • Quickdeath • Starclaws • Swiftwings • Thoughtful • Truthfinder • Vision|
|Hybrids||Darkstalker • Whiteout • Eclipse • Shadowhunter • Sunny • Firefly|
|Kingdom|| Night Kingdom: NightWing Fortress • NightWing Tunnels|
|Society||The NightWing Exodus|
|Queens|| Present: Queen Glacier|
Historical: Queen Diamond
|Jade Mountain||Winter • Icicle • Alba • Changbai • Ermine|
|Other Dragons||Cirrus • Fjord • Hvitur • Lynx • Snowflake|
|Hybrids||Darkstalker • Whiteout • Eclipse • Shadowhunter • Typhoon|
|Kingdom||Great Ice Cliff • Moon Globe Tree • Queen Glacier's Palace • The Diamond Caves|
|Society||Circle Rankings • Diamond Trial|